Monday, January 7, 2008

A Real Live Wire: Subsonics, thee Crucials, Knife & the 4th Ward Daggers in ATL

So I went all the fuckin' way to Hotlanta in chilly January to one of the trashiest of trashy bars called Lenny's (in the back a strip mall no less) to see three garagepunk groups blast the night...

Finally met Shake Revard of legendary fame as lead stomper'n'singer of thee Crucials (Georgia's second goddamn comin' of the Woggles, as much as they may not dig the comparison)...a super cool cat who turned the big 3-0 & managed to be the best damn garagepunk host to me and my friend the whole night...with too many shots (most from an over-eager bartender) appreciated that night but paid fer dearly the next morning...

Didn't get a koozie or t-shirt from any of the bands, but I did witness a brand new group (well new to these ears) from the ATL called Knife & the 4th Ward Daggers -> trashed out punk'n'bop trio that looked like punk rock kids havin' anxious fun (with a hot bass player babe to boot...natch!)...

Next up was thee Crucials who are a par-tay fuckin' band and proved it in spades ... glad I got a chance to catch 'em on their "home" turf before they make the trek to my neck o' the southeast...danced, hopped, slopped and got fuckin' dirty to their organ and fuzz fury...I can't fuckin' wait til March (when their magical show in Cola-town is due to go down)...

Last and not least, the Subsonics, veterans of the garagepunk scene tore it up as only their primitive & snotty sound can on my tired ears (think Velvet Underground on garagerock full tilt...not so artsy-fartsy) ...playin' an insanely long set (no complaints here)...As a joke that literally paid off I gave Clay, their lead singer and guitar slinger, $10 to play their song "Ten dollars"...funny how that works ...god I love whores...

Oh yeah fuckin' cabbies in ATL need fuckin' maps...either that or I got to stop goin' to dive bars to see great garage slop that's lost to most o' the world.... nah, the cabbies can go get GPS and shove off.

0 comments: